neljapäev, september 11, 2003

Last night I went to get a haircut. I went to the same cheap place as usual. But even though they charge me a fraction of what they charge in Japan or the US, the service is more elavorate: First they wash my hair, then cut my hair, then wash again, and then retouch and comb with gel and hair dryer.

In Japan I payed three times as much, and they didn't wash my hair, they didn't even used to comb it at the end! Their condition to do it at such a "reduced" price, was that whatever they do, it has to be finished in 10 minutes!

In the States, I think I payed about five times as much in the cheap places. The service was friendlier and not as rushed as in Japan, but still they didn't wash my hair either.

So what happened last night is that I got this idiotic girl to attend me first. I go first to the counter and ask for a haircut to the person sitting there. She turns her head to the girl standing next to her, telling her something in the local language... and her eyes continue blank, as if in the middle of a dream.

After this girl is woken up from her day dreaming, she washes my hair and leads me to the chair to get the hair cut. Somebody else is going to cut my hair, but she passes me two picture books (like they did in previous times) so I can choose a model to my liking.

So I open the first book, and what an idiot! Not only all of the guys have a fluffy hairstyle that is clearly not even remotely close to my personal style, but they've also got hair that is longer than I have! How can I possibly get one of those haircuts if my hair is already shorter than theirs?

I proceed to check the second book, and man... this is a book full of girl hairstyles!

No wonder this is a third world country.