kolmapäev, september 24, 2003

Ha-ha! I thought that yesterday I'd have to go to the Ministry of Labor to get my work permit, but the girl in the office went by herself without me. She probably thought I'd be more of a drag if I tagged along. I did offer my company, but I really didn't want to go as it is so freaking hot and humid outside.

So to celebrate my saving all the uncomfortable sweat, last night I treated myself (in reality, should've treated HER!) to a cheapy dim-sum restaurant that I found by chance. Although very humble, I think it was part of a chain cause all of the workers were wearing a uniform with the name of the restaurant, which sounded too grandiose to be just that one room place.

The way it worked was, you just come in, and take a look at their refrigerated showcase, point to the little baskets that you want to eat, take a seat, and after a few minutes, they bring you your food freshly steamed.

The servings were quite small, and the sauce was already mixed (and a bit too acid for my taste). But all in all, I liked it. I may go again tonight!

This reminded me of a friend from Puerto Rico. One day I met him right after he'd come back from visiting his own country, and was telling me about this wonderful "dim-sum" thing he'd discovered in his trip to Puerto Rico. He was telling me that it was some sort of Chinese food, and tasted sensational. And with an air of sophistication, dared to ask me if I'd ever had dim-sum. And I was chuckling "Dude, I went to China in person and had dim-sum made by real Chinese people!".