kolmapäev, september 17, 2003

I feel conned by MTV-China, and it happened twice in less than twelve hours. Last night before I'd start my ritual of local language self-study, I decided to flip the channels once again and found that MTV-China was broadcasting the pre-show to the MTV Music Video Awards which happened a few weeks ago in New York. I'm not in the States right now, so I wasn't able to see Madonna kissing Britney and Christina, and was thrilled that this would be my chance.

So what happened after the pre-show? MTV-China had the enlightend idea of just finish it there, and follow it with a totally unrelated program about karaoke. What kind of reasoning is that? They show you all the artists coming in to the Radio City Music Hall, and a couple of music acts taking place in front of the Rockefeller Center to turn on the heat, then all the announcers are telling you to stay tuned because the main event is to start in a few minutes and it's going to be real hot! And then... what you get is some chinese karaoke?

That was very disappointing. And to top it off, they repeated the same routine this morning when I was getting up. Totally senseless.

Well, on the other hand I can say in MTV-China's favor that yesterday I also saw a very moving music video. It was by a chinese female singer whom I have no idea what her name might be. I wasn't paying attention to the video at first, but then when I noticed, wow.

In the video you only see this young female singer in a plain house with a young man. Both of them are in their early twenties. The interesting thing is that the guy appears to be in a coma, but still the girl takes very good loving care of him. She pushes his wheel chair to the veranda so he can get some fresh air and sunlight. She cooks and then pulls an armchair next to his bed so she can have dinner in his company. She cuts his toenails. She shaves him. She cleans his body with a wet towel. At the end of the video she just lays on top of him, pulling his arms around herself so that she feels like she's being hugged by him.

I didn't understand any of the lyrics, but found those scenes to be profoundly touching. I think that's true love and loyalty.