laupäev, veebruar 10, 2007

Channel re-numbering plan

Today I'm gonna bitch about my cable TV operator's channel numbering plans.  I wonder what fucking moron was behind this plot.  It happens that from early January I'd been seeing subtitles saying that during the early hours of Jan. 16 or so on most channels would be unavailable due to their channel number re-allocation work.

As the date approached, suddenly I started to notice the same subtitles, but with a different date.  It had been pushed back one week.  Okay, fine by me.  The thing is, when the day came, they weren't ready by the time they said they would, 6:00 am.  We'll, this being the Third World, I'm not surprised.  What surprised me was that even one day after the changes should've been completed, many channels were still unavailable.  Huh.

Believe it or not, soon after this happened, the cable operator started to put those subtitles again announcing one more renumbering day, exactly one week later.  That second time around, the works really ended by the promised time.  Perhaps we should give them an award for keeping their word.

But what pisses me off is the way they allocated the new numbers.  Being a guy, I like to flip the channels a lot.  I like especially the documentary channels, but the way they set them up this time, they're spread over non-consecutive numbers.  What kind of idiot would make a plan like that?  Oh, and by the way, I can't program the cable box's remote control to skip the channels that don't have a signal, so by all means I have to push multiple buttons to go from documentary channel to documentary channel.

Maybe the guys who run this cable company don't watch their own channels.