teisipäev, juuni 06, 2006

IMHO Knoppix is...

KNOPPIX Linux Live CD

When I discovered this Linux distribution I was really impressed and very glad to be able to use something like this without actually installing it into my hard disk. At that time Knoppix 3.9 was the latest, and it worked very well. It even worked fine with my laptop computer's built-in wireless adaptor.

When Knoppix 4.0 came out, this also worked good, except that it would refuse to work with my built-in wireless. This was a real bummer, but for the way I wanted to use it didn't really matter a lot.

Now last week Knoppix 5.0 was released, and this one is really disappointing. I've tried it in three computers, and it won't even boot in two of them, my laptop included. In the two where it doesn't work, I get some sort of "Kernel panic" error and then nothing else happens.

I just couldn't believe that it wouldn't even boot. I thought perhaps the CD burning process itself was flawed so I put a UPS to make the electricity nice and also made the burning software double check the contents before and after writing on to the CD. What a pitty.

Maybe next time I should look elsewhere, perhaps SLAX?