teisipäev, mai 30, 2006

Lots of fun learning today

Lately I'd been playing as much as possible with the new SuSE Linux 10.1, but I'd gotten stuck with some things I couldn't figure out by myself for several days.  I wanted (cause I know I'll need in the near future) to install some software, wxPython libraries to be exact.  This is nothing out of this world, but for some reason, I couldn't get it done.

First I was looking for files ready to use and install on top of my SuSE Linux.  Since I couldn't find, I tried to make my own out of the source code, but this wouldn't work either.  I also tried using the ones I found for RedHat, Fedora, and even Mandriva, but these didn't run on SuSE.  I'd almost run out of ideas, when I decided to post the question in Google Groups, and within a few hours somebody had already pointed me to a special directory I didn't even know exists where SuSE puts some more (quite a few more) rpms that are ready to use on 10.1.

So the next morning I come to the office and give it a try... and how wonderful!  Everything starts to work fine, and I even stumble upon other goodies I'm gonna need soon.  Been playing with them, putting them together and stuff, and they all work together like a dream!  This is really awesome!