esmaspäev, aprill 24, 2006

Mosquito coils

I wonder who the fuck is keeping standing water up here near the 18F of my apartment building.  You'd think that by living this high, you won't have flies nor mosquitoes coming through your window, but here I do have mosquitoes!  I sometimes even hear those small insects that look like locusts making the kind of sound they do to attract their mates.  It sounds too close to be coming from the ground level.  Somebody is definitely raising those buggers somewhere near my 18F window!

So now I've had to close my window cause I already got bitten twice by a mosquito.  I lit up a mosquito coil that stinks very bad.  I wonder if this really kills or just scares away the mosquitoes.  In the supermarket I saw they sell some device that has an ultraviolet lightbulb surrounded by some mesh with high voltage electricity.  The idea is that the mosquitoes will get attracted to this special light and get electrocuted when they come in contact with the mesh.  Funny I read in the "How It Works" website that actually mosquitoes can't see ultraviolet light!  So, how is that machine supposed to attract them then?