reede, mai 28, 2004

New hardware for me!

Well well, now for a change something that doesn't have to do with news...

Finally it seems that I'll be involved in doing something meaningful!
I got in touch with some guys who are still in the very very early
phase of their project. They want to propose to some investors the
construction of some big buildings, and I'll be supporting them with
the computer stuff!

So yesterday I went to buy a mouse for my humble laptop computer. Not
that this laptop came without a pointing device, but since I'll be
making some graphics for the proposal documents, I thought it'd be
more efficient this way.

And since if everything goes fine, everything will really be fine, I
decided to go for a fancy optical and wireless mouse! Yeah, I like
gadgets! When I went into this shopping center, I had in mind buying
the Logitec mouse (optical and wireless) for laptop computers I had
seen sometime ago. I like it because the USB receiver is really tiny
(no cables), and it comes with a pouch, which would be very nice to
carry around.

Unfortunately, when I found it yesterday, it was much more expensive
than I remembered. So I bought another one, from a brand called
"A4Tech", which I'd never heard before. The mouse itself is big (not
tiny for laptops), and the USB receiver has a cable! Why did I choose
it? First, I thought that perhaps such a small mouse wouldn't be
comfortable to use for a long time... and second because the receiver
is also a battery recharger! So while I'm using one set of batteries
inside the wireless mouse, another set is being recharged by the
receiver! Isn't that neat?

I love that idea, especially because I don't think in this country
they have facilities to dispose of batteries safely. So if I can
reduce the number of batteries that go to the dump, that's very nice.
I read somewhere that if you throw away a battery in the woods or a
park, it'll poison one square meter. Maybe I'm wrong with the number,
but even if it's one square foot, I think it's well worth.

But, I'm puzzled at the mouse driver that came with it! It doesn't do
all that's described in the documentation! The only function that
bugs me is missing is the battery gauge... even if I went to the
manufacturer's website and downloaded the latest version of the device
driver!

Still, I'm pretty happy with it.