kolmapäev, mai 10, 2006

It's not my ADSL modem, it's the ISP's server!

Yesterday I went to visit my brother in his brand new house.  It's a really beautiful house in a gated community.  He's got ADSL from the same ISP as I do too.  I happened to be carrying my laptop computer, so I connected it to his home wireless network... and sure enough, I got disconnected just like it happens to me at my own apartment:  I remain all the time connected to the wireless access point, but from time to time, my Yahoo! Messenger is logged out and automatically logs in again, my Skype logs out and automatically logs in again.

This is definitely not a modem problem, not a house wiring problem, not a billing problem, not a virus problem.  This is a server problem on the ISP side mother fucker!

But the strange thing is that this problem doesn't happen at our office with the same laptop computer. Our office uses also the same ISP, the same ADSL plan, and is housed in a far older building.  How come this 21rst century thing works better in the antique quarters instead of the spanking new buildings?