kolmapäev, märts 09, 2005

Google Desktop Search Leaves Beta

InformationWeek

Huh, I'm a bit disappointed with GDS. I'd seen for a while news about Google Desktop Search, but didn't feel like installing it. Lately, however, I've been into so many projects that it's difficult to keep track of everything, so I changed my mind and yesterday I installed GDS.

The installation itself was real quick, but the one-time indexing took forever. The real problem in my case, is that GDS didn't create indexes of one whole directory! I put all of my downloaded files and self-created files under two directories, and GDS just refuses to index one of them, thus I can't find anything that happens to be there.

I went to check the user forums for possible solutions, and was amazed at how many people are having the same problem. Just random dirtories are ignored for indexing, and although some workarounds are proposed, none worked for me.

I don't think GDS is ready for prime time yet.